Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Just Tasted Gard and 37 Cellars

Two new wineries to Washington that rock. If you haven't tried Gard Cellars 2006 or 2007 (just released today)Dry Riesling, DO! The words unctuous, luscious and layers come to mind. From the Lawrence Vineyard on the Royal slope this Riesling is grown at high elevations and has extremely low yields, creating a wine that reminds me of an Alsatian cru reserve. Excuse me while I finish my "taste".

Ok now for 37 Cellars. Out of Leavenworth they are a true example of focus only producing a Cab Sauv right now with two other varietals to come, but that's for a later date. The Cab was righteous and will go to my high end wine club this month. Schooled by Rob Newsom of Boudreaux Winery these guys have created a monster cab that expresses chocolate, vanilla and coffee... I know, dinner, now, OK! Like other WA cabs I don't think it will age forever, but that doesn't matter because after a taste you won't be able to hold it anyway. I think more WA start up wineries need to figure out that focus will bring success in early releases. Until my next epiphany keep sampling, variety is the.......

No comments:

Post a Comment